Wednesday, September 26, 2012

My Weakness. . .How I plan to eliminate it. . .maybe!

So when it comes to whatever lifestyle we choose to live, we inevitably have our down falls, pitfalls,  or weaknesses. For those wanting to eat healthy they might have that certain food that they fail to resist. Those wanting to live a life of positive thoughts seem to have the one vice that brings them down to negative thoughts. For those who wish to not judge others, might have that one person they struggle with.

I wish to live a life of simplicity, minimalism, and to consume as little as possible. I can pass garage sales w/out thought, go into a Salvation Army and walk out with only items of great need, go into a Wal-Mart and only buy necessities like food and TP. I am no longer tempted by ebay, Amazon, or other online shopping. Commercials no longer entice me. I have no sentimental attachments to "things", and have NO problem discarding unwanted and unneeded items. It brings me great joy and peace to see empty spaces. Yep, I've come a long way. . .


So, what is my weakness?. . .HALLOWEEN!!!


I love EVERYTHING Halloween!!! I love the cute as well as the scary, decorations and costumes, animated specials and horror movies, carmel apples and candy corn, grave yards and haunted houses, spider webs and witches, dry ice and fog machines, passing out candy and dressing up the kids, parties and carving pumpkins, telling scary stories and BOO-ing the neighbors, trunker treating and trick or treating!  I love it all! It is one of the reason Fall is my favorite season. When I drive by the Halloween City stores or see Halloween decorations in the store a sense of joy permeates through me. Emotions and feelings take over my common sense. I want to buy it all, make it, all, and decorate every square foot! A begin making a list of the the 31 things I want to do with the family to do a 31 day countdown to Halloween. I begin to plan costumes and decorations before October even comes. Our Halloween budget was once bigger then our Christmas budget!



How do you downsize such a passion when trying to live a frugal minimalist lifestyle? I don't completely. I have downsized a lot of my budget, keep decorations to use next year (I used to do a different theme each year), and don't decorate inside anymore unless it's a craft the kids make (that I throw out each year).

I don't downsize the type of candy I buy for trick or treaters, I haven't eliminated my outside decorations, and have not stopped having the party we throw each year. Some things I will just have to keep the same. How do I justify this? Because we ARE the Adams Family! Seriously, this is what our family loves. We love this holiday and to change it too much would take away a very fun family tradition.

I am not saying that if you have an expensive family tradition that you should stick with it at all cost. Sit down as a family and discuss your expectations. Be open and honest with your kids on what the budget is. We still have deep rooted Halloween traditions, without a lot of cost. We shop used stores and come up with very creative costumes. We also do a lot of our shopping after Halloween for the next year (not for candy). We save a LOT doing it that way. We don't feel like shaving our budget has cut down on our traditions in any way! In fact, it has put a fun twist on it as we play on pinterest to find fun ways to make up our own decorations. Click here to see my Halloween board on Pinterest.

Traditions are a VERY important part of creating strong family bonds. However, traditions can still be accomplished on a budget, without over consuming, and while maintaining a simple life.

HaPpY HalLoWeEn!


13 comments:

  1. Hi Melissa, I have an award for you over at my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When my family and I downsized, I found out I had two addictions. 1) wrapping paper and 2) lotion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mine is Halloween and fabric...oh buttons. I love Halloween. Right now I have no income. Im trying to get my ssi disability. Im scared but God promised to take care of me. I live alone and paid cash for my home. Im unable to work. I'm barely typing this. Yes in bed most days. All I owe are utilites. Some medical bills. I am on food stamps and medicaid. I have lots to sell on Ebay but not even up to that now. Praying I have more energy soon. Like you blog. Got here while Pinteresting cuts on utilities. God bless! Kendra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kendra, it sounds like you are doing great living a simple life with your finances! Way to go! I hope your health improves and you feel better soon!

      Delete
  4. Hi Melissa, like you, I too, loved Halloween. It was probably my favorite holiday. Our family stopped celebrating it six years ago. Honestly, I was convicted of it over and over by the Holy Spirit for years. Here is an article if you're interested explaining Holloween. Another good book is Fossilized Customs that explains the origins. http://www.comeenterthemikvah.com/?wpdmact=process&did=MjgzLmhvdGxpbms=

    ReplyDelete
  5. During my time I was diagnosed of Herpes and HIV/Aids I was advised not to speak to certain people about my Health “orthodox side” because they’re all lying shills and sociopaths or not take seriously scientific information on HIV because according to the denialists it’s all propaganda from the “AIDS establishment”. I decided to do some search, Rethinking AIDS and Herpes denialism in general, it caused a wave of attacks against Herbal Medicine and medicated drugs, anger, disbelief and insults with some members even alluding to the fact that I was the leader of Rethinking AIDS at the time. Of course I wasn’t and I always reminded them that I was and independent even if I was positive of those diseases. I come across a search on how Dr Itua cure people suffering from, Herpes, HIV/Aids, Hepatitis, Cancer, Epilepsy,Copd,Parkinson,Ledder Diseases, then I decided to give a try although i have had a lot of stories about Nigeria scam so I was scared of it at first then I had a second thought telling me to give a try so i finally order for it and it was sent to me through courier service and I take it for two weeks and I was healed, I still find it difficult today to be real I'm living for a year now without outbreak or taking ARV Drugs, I'm supporting Dr Itua Herbal Center and also promoting his herbal medicine online for people suffering from any kind of disease to contact him on Email...drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com Or Whatsapp Number On...+2348149277967. At this point of view regarding HIV/AIDS, HERPES, GENITALS, WART, COLD SORE. You can say I was very involved with the movement; I spoke on radio shows about Dr Itua, filmed my own YouTube videos, wrote my own articles about Dr Itua and attempted to inform every person I could about this information. Thank You.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Unfortunately there are a lot of AIDS/Herpes denials on Herbal cures still out there. I did research on them after I was tested HIV/Herpes positive I was so worried am I going to die soon. I continue my search again on herbal remedy for Std, then I found lots of testimony on how Dr Itua Herbal Medicine Cured HIV/Aids, Herpes Virus,Copd, Hepatitis, Diabetes, On websites sharing their testimonies, which made much more sense to me. All the authors pronounce Dr Itua As a man with Good Heart, I pick interest in their testimonies and I contact him about my situation then he gave me procedure how it works, I proceed after one week he courier his Herbal Medicine to me and instruct me on how to drink it for two weeks to cure. I receive His Herbal Medicine so I drank it for two weeks as I was told then after 2 days I go for a test I found out I was cured from HIV/Aids & Herpes Virus, I pay homage to him 2 months ago to his country to celebrate with him on his African festival which he told me it usually happens every year. I know there are lots of (HIV)/Aids&Herpes Virus denials of Herbal Remedy movement the same few doctors and they represent a very small faction of the community. I could have died because I refused Natural Herbs Cures for so long, but luckily, by the grace of God I am alive to tell my story. Contact Info...Whatsapp Number...+2348149277967,Email...drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com/My Instagram Username...avat5634 Just in case you need someone to talk with. He cure tthe following diseases below...1. Herpes 2. cancer 3. HIV / AIDS 4. hepatitis 5. Bring my ex back 6. Leprosy 7. SARS 8. Bubonic plague
    9. Cerebrovascular disease 10. Lower respiratory infections 11. Syphilis 12. Influenza A-H1N1 (swine flu) 13.Ischemic heart disease 14. Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease 15. Whooping cough 16. Perinatal complications 17. diarrhea 18 .. lung cancer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hiv disease for the last 3 years and had pain hard to eat and cough are nightmares,especially the first year At this stage, the immune system is severely weakened, and the risk of contracting opportunistic infections is much greater. However, not everyone with HIV will go on to develop AIDS. The earlier you receive treatment, the better your outcome will be.I started taking ARV to avoid early death but I had faith in God that i would be healed someday.As a Hiv patent we are advise to be taking antiretroviral treatments to reduce our chance of transmitting the virus to others , few weeks ago i came on search on the internet if i could get any information on Hiv treatment with herbal medicine, on my search i saw a testimony of someone who has been healed from Hiv her name was Achima Abelard and other Herpes Virus patent Tasha Moore also giving testimony about this same man,Called Dr Itua Herbal Center.I was moved by the testimony and i contacted him by his Email.drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com We chatted and he send me a bottle of herbal medicine I drank it as he instructed me to.After drinking it he ask me to go for a test that how i ended my suffering life of Hiv patent,I'm cured and free of Arv Pills.I'm forever grateful to him Drituaherbalcenter.Here his contact Number +2348149277967...He assure me he can cure the following disease..Hiv,Cancer,Herpes Virus,Hpv,Pile,Weak Erection,Lyme Disease,Epilepsy, ,Bladder Cancer,Colorectal Cancer,Breast Cancer,Kidney Cancer,Leukemia,Lung Cancer,Non Hodgkin Lymphoma,Skin Cancer,Lupus,Uterine Cancer,Prostate Cancer, fibromyalgia ,ALS,Hepatitis,Copd,Parkinson disease.Genetic disease,Fibrodysplasia disease,Fibrodysplasia Ossificans Progressiva,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity Syndrome,Stroke,Hpv,Weak Erection,Liver/Kidney Inflammatory,Men/Woman infertility, bowel disease ,Huntington's disease ,Diabetes,Fibroid...

    ReplyDelete
  8. blood sugar formula works to increase the energy level of your body and boosts your physical strength by converting the fat cells into workable energy. It also uses essential antioxidants to treat diabetes from its root cause and helps you to combat against the ravages of high glucose level in bloodstream.

    for more info check it out here

    ReplyDelete