Thursday, May 3, 2012

Bedroom Make Over for under $5, Minimalist Style

One of the things I've been curious about is what a minimalist home looks like. I have googled pictures and videos and haven't had much luck. When I first began my journey, I wanted to know what a home of a minimalist would look like. I love the aesthetic look of simplicity and clean empty space. I more wanted to know for the sake of inspiration.

A few days ago, a friend stopped by. As she stood looking at my living room she said, "Your living room feels so calm and peaceful." She had NO idea what a compliment that was to me. That is my entire goal in this journey for peace and simplicity! When I began all of this, I started first with my bedroom. After all, as a mother of many, my bedroom HAD to be my sanctuary!

It was filled with dark red everywhere! Dark red comforter with 100 pillows! Ok, maybe only 8-10 pillows, but it feels like 100 when you are taking them off at night and strategically placing them each morning when you make your bed. Some mornings I would just give up and shove them under the bed or not make the bed at all. What a waste of time that was!! Then the sliding glass door was covered in red along with the other window. I also had a big, dark, heavy dresser in there that covered a big portion of the wall across from my bed. It may have felt dark and cozy, but I didn't want to get up in the morning, and it always seemed to be a mess that took forever to clean up.

Now the dilemma! I had already started my frugal ways looong before that. So, how do you do a bedroom remodel on an extremely tight budget? Well, it only cost me $4.76! I'll break it down for you if you don't believe it!

The curtains on the window to the left of the bed are one shear panel I bought for $1.00 at Salvation Army. The 2 outside panels where made from a cream colored flat sheet that I bought at Goodwill for $1.38. The elderly woman who lives in our apartment made them for me. I LOVE the whimsical cream color and the way the panels create the "pool" affect on the floor. The cream colored pillow shams were also from Goodwill for only $2.38 for both. You do the math.

I went to my giveaway pile and pulled out the picture frames (usually a no, no!) and grabbed some paint from the basement and painted them all to match. I repainted the little night stands the same color. The valance hanging above the sliding glass door actually belonged to another curtain set (again from the giveaway pile. . .shhhh. . .). I just cut the panels off so I would just have valances. I already had the blanket and the bed skirt is an old king size flat sheet. I do have plans to make a quilt to go on my bed. I won a whole pile of beautiful squares at a women's retreat!

So, the turn out? I love it! My hubby loves it! And it is SUPER easy to clean! I once timed myself cleaning the room. With vacuuming and cleaning it only took me 6 minutes!

What you see in the following pictures is just what there is. I have no other furniture in my room except my bed, 2 night stands, 2 lamps, my rebounder, my chi swing, and my hubby's guitar. That's right, no tv, no dresser, no headboard, and no chairs! Oh, I do have a clothes hamper by my door that's not in the picture.






But what does the CLOSET look like? Ok, that's only fair! Here goes. . . 



Before you look at the pictures of my closet, I want to point out a few things. First, there is no dresser anywhere full of clothes. There is no more then maybe a load of dirty clothes. This is it! This is ALL the clothes that my husband & I own! You will see I have two vices when it comes to clothes and style. One, I have LOTS of bras (*blush*). Bras are the one thing I am NOT frugal on! I pay a lot for them, so I repair and wear them out to nothing before I will part with one. Two, I LOVE jewelry. Actually, this is an after picture. Before I reduced, I had at least 2 times the amount as what you see in my closet. I have a very sweet friend who makes AMAZING jewelry! Well, she only lives 2 houses down so. . .she is one of my weaknesses! However, I like to barter!

So here goes! Don't judge.  .  . 

(and don't laugh at the amount of  bras!)




Thank you for coming to visit my home! If I get a good response or if others request it, I will post more pictures of other rooms in my house. I just have a strong curiosity as to what a minimalist house looks like. If you are aware of others pics or videos on the internet please share the link in the comment section.

Have a clutter free day! =)

18 comments:

  1. Post more! Even though I could just come right over and have a grand 'real live' tour! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true Erika!=) Come over anytime! =) I have a walk through with the Realtor Monday so it will be nice a clean! I'll take pics then a post a few at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice! The dark red sounds familiar. I have a question: How do you store clothes you're keeping for hand-me-downs?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Kimberly. I don't store them much anymore. I used to put them in a flat bin or boxes and store them under the bed of the person who would be wearing them. My 3 older girls (15, 14, & 12) are all so close in size that there really is no need for hand-me-downs. My youngest daughter (8) is SO far from their size that it's not worth it to me to save them for that many years (and the styles usually change by then). As far as my boys (10 & 9), if the older (who is a LOT taller then the younger) out grows something and it is still wearable (not always likely) then I fold it up and stick it on the top shelf in their closet. There is so very little in their closet that there is nothing else on that shelf but the hand-me-down clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it! Our bedroom has just a bed, king size foam mattress, and a laundry hamper. I will take pictures of our house during nap time tomorrow or Monday so there is another house to view. Our oldest boy 11.5 does not have a minimalist room but recently asked me to help him downsize his stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would love to see it Amy! Thanks you! It took my older 2 girls (15 & 14) some time, but they are coming around. Once your ds catches on, he will feel the freedom! =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it!! I don't remember the patio. I think it may have been under construction when I moved. I wish I would have taken a peek when I was out there. I'll have to look this summer. So cute. Just from the pictures you can tell it is a peaceful room.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Annalia, this is a minimalist bedroom, don't feel like you are a hoarder if your room doesn't look like this ;). This is just what we prefer for us. There is different levels of hoarding and different levels of minimalism. Take a look around your room and ask yourself if it feels good to you. If it does, then leave it be; if it doesn't, then start decluttering! =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! That looks great! Is that really all the amount of clothes you own?! (I'm in shock!) (Minus the amount of bras... that is way funny!) What about winter vs. summer? How do you do that? Having known you, it hardly seemed like you ever wore the same outfit twice. How do you do it? Is there a trick?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! Laura, I suppose there is a trick. I purposely buy clothes to "rotate" if you will to match several things. I put one piece of clothing with 2-3 different items (clothes or jewelry) to make the outfit look completely different. As far as winter/summer I wear a lot of the same clothes in the winter as I do in the summer and then I just add a sweater to it. I also rotate my clothing when Salvation Army has a bag sale or 50% off. I can get 3-4 outfits for $5 then I get rid of old clothes. =)

      Delete
  10. I'm anxious to see pictures of the new home, once you get settled!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This... is... *exactly* what I want!! Streamlined, minimalist, only the essentials! You are an inspiration, and I'd LOVE to see other rooms!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! We just made a move about a month ago and I will be taking some pictures in another week or so. We have been settled for a while, but we have just been kind of busy.

      Delete
  12. I so want to do this! But hubby won't let me touch our room until our basement has been finishes (it was unfinished when his dad built the house 15 years ago) and we can finally move our office downstairs and our family room so we have space up here for children in case we ever get pregnant one day or adopt. I'm a huge decorator at heart. I just love everything about it.. this has given me such inspiration and also a twig of wanting to downsize our clothes. :) You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I always say I am the complete opposite of a horder. I have a friend who has so much stuff. She comes to my home and feels she needs to decorate it! Of course I don't want that. I am happy with what I have. The other day she bought me 2 kitchen pieces with roosters. I don't like roosters and sure don't need them. I need to have and talk with her.
    I love having as little as possible because my home is simple and it stays clean. We buy what we need and very rarely what we just want. Glad to know I'm not the only one.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Individuals are fond of using beauty products such as lotions and body oils that are produced by businesses that are leading. But because these products are rather expensive, not all individuals are able to enjoy them. However the news for people who wish to try products is that there are choices which provide advantages. PCR Extract CBD Hemp Oil benefits when compared with other products are better and more efficient in attaining optimum health condition. After pressing seeds A hemp oil is produced. This oil is known to be abundant in nutrients many of those are the Omega 6 and Omega 3 together with other essential fatty acids.

    In accordance with World Health Organization, the body for wellness needs these acids. Other people are reluctant about it Though the PCR Extract CBD Hemp Oil is considered to offer a lot of advantages. But according to businesses that manufacture hemp oil the seed includes this component those components are removed throughout the practice of pressing the seeds to extract oil. In other nations, hemp seeds aren't utilized to make food, and aren't recommended for human consumption.

    Nevertheless, they may be utilized to produce skincare or industrial products. For products there. Oil has properties which make it to skincare! Individuals have different skin types, that's why it's very essential to utilize. Hemp oil is fantastic for various kinds of skin. It is an anti inflammatory product. Individuals rashes together with the oil can be safely used by other skin problems as it alleviates these signs. In addition, individuals who've eczema, acne, psoriasis, and dermatitis may safely use this oil. It is extremely safe for the skin. Hemp oil contains essential fatty acids, that make it effective to act as a moisturizer.

    This could very well help individuals who've oily and dry skin. Unlike the oily sensation brought by some other body oils or lotions, hemp oil makes the skin hydrated all day without getting the pores clogged. It is perfect for hair care. Lots from conditioners and shampoos today contain hemp oil. Since PCR Extract CBD Hemp Oil contains a fair amount of conditioning nutrients, it is ideal for making the hair stronger and thicker. In addition to skincare benefits, the oil may also be utilized to reduce swelling and pain due to osteoporosis and arthritis.

    In addition, PCR Extract CBD Hemp Oil helps in relieving premenstrual stress, consuming calcium, and acts as a regular sunblock.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyillrrEoYk&t

    ReplyDelete