Saturday, April 6, 2013

Raw Vegan Chocolate Mint Milkshake

This is a recipe I made up so, as always, you will have to be patient with me as I'm not perfect at exact measurements. If you want this to be raw you will have to make your own almond milk. If you only care that it is vegan but not raw, you can start with a base of store bought almond or soy milk. First, the recipe for the almond milk.

For the almond milk you will need the following

1 C. Almonds (soaked 8+ hours) throw soak water away
4 C. Water             
4-5  Dates (if you don't have a vitamix you may want to soak the dates for 10-15 minutes to soften)
1 t. Vanilla    
Cheese cloth of some kind and pitcher



 

Start by adding all the ingredients except 2 C of the water. Blend until WELL blended then add the remaining 2 cups water and blend again.


 

Pour the mixture through the cheese cloth and squeeze as much liquid out as you can.



This is what the pulp will look like. Do NOT throw this out! I put it in my raw cookie recipe or raw crackers. Also, you can dehydrate it until dry, blend it well, and use the almond flour in recipes for baking.




  

You can enjoy your milk plain, but to make a Chocolate Mint Milkshake you will need to pour some milk into an ice cube tray to freeze.




This is what you will need for the Chocolate Mint Milkshake:
 



1-2 C. Milk
1 Frozen banana
2-4 T. Raw Cacao Powder (add 2 then taste to see if you want more)
6 Cubes frozen milk cubes or more if you want it to be thicker
3-6 drops of peppermint oil (you can omit this if you just want a chocolate milkshake)
Agave to taste (I use between 2-4 T. depending on how sweet I want it)


This pic shows a double recipe or more.

You can't tell by the picture, but these milkshakes are thick and frozen like a milkshake you would get from an ice cream shop. They are sweet, creamy, and delicious! Next time, I'm going to make a strawberry milkshake! :P


Have a happy healthy DAY!!

2 comments:

  1. Would you tell me how you dry your left over almond meal. I make almond milk all the time and never keep the meal. I would love to start using the leftover meal.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! :-) you are like me! :-)
    Angela, I dehydrate mine. I have a Sedona dehydrator and dehydrate everything at 118 degrees. You can put in oven too on lowest setting, spread out on parchment paper. Put metal spoon or knife in the door as to let the steam out. I make my bean burgers this way too! :-)

    ReplyDelete